Plein Eire

Your Site For Artists Who Paint Outdoors

The 'Calendar Challenge': 12 monthly paintings of the same view.

With winter approaching it gets harder to arrange successful paint-outs so here's a little challenge to do on your own and post the results to the website. We also have a number of overseas members and this is something everyone can take part in if they wish.

The idea is an adaptation of Kevin Macpherson's 'Reflections on a Pond' project in which he painted the same view on every day of the year, taking 3 years to complete his task. I'm suggesting you choose a motif near at hand - even a view from your window - to paint one painting each month, starting in November 2011. The aim would be to try and reflect the different moods of the year, so perhaps something with a bit of greenery in it would be good, but it is up to you. Of course, you can also vary the times of day etc.

Each month you upload your painting, you should save the uploaded image to a separate album within your Plein Eire  Artwork Gallery and mark that album 'Calendar Challenge' or something like that to distinguish it from your other uploaded images

To do this, Click the 'Paintings' tab, select 'My Portfolioss' and click 'Add Portfolio' which you title appropriately as you want. Title the painting uploaded by the month, so we will know this is part of your series done for this project, so the first one you post will be 'November'.

Only your 12 calendar paintings should be in that album so we can list the links to those albums here in one location and anyone interested can browse through them to see the progress of your project. If you want to do more than one view, open a separate album for each set of 12 paintings.

Remember, if you need to skip a month for any reason, just carry on regardless - its the exercise that matters. There is no prize or winner for this one - but no limit on pleasure or reward!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, here are some of the 'Calendar Girls' and boys (perhaps 12 Angry Men, The Dirty Dozen or 12 Monkeys??? ) who are up for a challenge :

Midge Ace

Norah Blount

Ann Cahill

Lynda Cookson

Donna Louise Crook

John Cullinan

Siobhan M. Dempsey

David Diaz

Sally Downey

Philip Dundon

Kevin Freeney

Alison Fox

Laura Gibney

Terence Gillespie

Norma Healy

Esther Heffernan

Lize Human

Maeve Hunter

Elaine Hurst

Margaret Kent

Rita Lett

Kevin Lewis

Greg Long

Barry Lynch

Denise Kevany

Michael Keogh

Mary McDonnell

Dee McKiernan

Jane Meyler

Deirdre Moriarty

Mary O'Carroll

Mary O'Dowd

Maura O'Halloran

Lori Putnam (Scene One)

Lori Putnam (Scene Two)

Tony Robinson

Karen Scannell

Annemieke Schenkels

Tom Scott

Svetlana Starikova

Louise Treacy

Alberto Valentini

Deirdre Walsh

Liz Walsh

- If you want to join them, sign up by replying to this Forum and we'll add your name and put links to your Calendar Album on here. November is the first month, so be thinking of your chosen spot. As Dee McKiernan points out, it will be tough to paint something 12 times and make it interesting. On the other hand, it may free you to emphasise the mood and atmosphere, the temperature and the light as it has Kevin Macpherson. Hopefully, that will be the case but we'll enjoy the adventure of finding out and encouraging each other in this project throughout the coming 12 months. 

Any questions before we begin?

Good luck to everyone and happy painting!

Views: 3286

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great idea,

will try !

Maeve

I haven't been able to join in a Plein Eire session for more than a year .... so this is a great idea for me! Excellent plan.

Great idea. Will attempt this. 

How about  "Plein Calend Eire" as a title?

So handy, as we won't have to travel too far :)
Sounds like fun and I've a massive tube of Paynes Grey to get rid of! ;)
Great idea!  I will try this also.  Fun!
Great idea, Karen - I'll have a go!  Hope you are 'in da pink'! Liz
Do we post one by one?
Sounds great, Karen.  Will have a go.
Yeah..Im in.
yes karen love the idea will have a go...
This is a great idea, count me in! Deirdre.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website Sponsor: PleinAirGear.Com

PleinAirGear/Leder Easel

Viewcatcher

Notes

Making the most of your profile page

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 24, 2011 at 10:36am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 28, 2015.

Notes

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 12, 2010 at 2:18am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jun 1, 2012.

Posting Artwork on Plein Eire

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jul 15, 2010 at 1:33am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 10, 2012.

© 2024   Created by Plein Eire Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service