Plein Eire

Your Site For Artists Who Paint Outdoors

New to Plein Eire? Introduce yourself...(thread for introductions only)

Views: 807

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello, I am new to this site, finding you all from the Art In The Open forum from another site. I will be in Ireland, co. Wexford for that event and plan to stay a bit after. Does any one know of Plein Air groups I could meet up with?

OK I'm very new to this but not to painting outdoors. My problem is I adore it but am slow and almost always have to go back... the light is never the same. Really need advice and help.

Hi, I am new to plein air painting so am finding it a challenge so to speak, am working on the calendar event and will post work up later this year.

Have trained in fine art and after a long absence am enjoying the experience, hoping to attend more events when the weather gets a bit warmer.

Watching artists working and their different techniques is truly inspirational

Where are you based Etain? There are a couple of plein air groups already braving the elements. And our South East group will probably be back out there some time this month. The best way to learn is to get out there and paint with other like minded artists.

Good to see you here, Jean. The next time you're down Wexford way, let me know and we can go out and paint together. There's no magic bullet really - it's just down to practice. The more you do it, the faster you become. But you will become disillusioned initially, because your first efforts will fall way short of your studio paintings. Just treat them as practice for your first few sessions (wiping and recycling the panels is a good way to get into this mindset).

Jean English said:

OK I'm very new to this but not to painting outdoors. My problem is I adore it but am slow and almost always have to go back... the light is never the same. Really need advice and help.

Hi

I'm now in Florence, Italy but I look forward to joining in for a plein air event at some stage.
Keep the faith.

Hi Michael, Am based in Sutton Dublin, but spend sometime in Wicklow also, agree totally that practice is the best method, will try to get out on one of the Dublin paint outs very soon, many thanks. étáin

Michael McGuire said:

Where are you based Etain? There are a couple of plein air groups already braving the elements. And our South East group will probably be back out there some time this month. The best way to learn is to get out there and paint with other like minded artists.

Hi Rene,
Next time you are over here you should check out Francis Bacon's reassembled studio in Dublin. A visit is much less work than tidying your own studio but has the same
effect.

Hello there!  I'm a plein air artist in the States.  Living in Florida now.  I have sketched and painted most of my life, but only have had the time to do it more or less full time since retiring from teaching about ten years ago.  Outside I use watercolors which allows for a freer style than I use in the studio, doing colored pencil drawings.  I found your site about a year ago after a friend joined it, and was amazed that there are so many Irish artists!  It makes me feel so at home.  My son and his wife and daughter recently moved to Prague, so it seems I will be spending summers there, and I would love to see your paint out in Wexford.  So am thinking on how to do that...maybe.  I would love to visit Ireland and paint and that is on my to-do list now.  Meanwhile just looking at this site warms my heart. 

Hi All, I'm mainly a pastel and dry media painter.  I love to get out into the outdoors but am a very reluctant outdoor painter.  In recent years, I have been mainly painting indoors using reference photos which I have taken outside.  I've also been concentrating on animal portraits.

I'd love to get into Plein Air painting but have been scarred by an experience some years back while on holidays in Croatia.  I was sitting on a bench in the harbour with a small sketch book drawing the scene in front of me.  I was completely absorbed but became uncomfortably  aware of someone watching me.  I glanced over my shoulder and was horrified to see that a small crowd had gathered on the harbour wall behind me. I panicked but felt I couldn't just get up and run away.  A very nice American lady started to talk to me. She was very complimentary and said that she liked to draw too. She explained that they were all just off a cruise ship and had spotted me and decided to come over to see what I was doing. If it wasn't for that nice woman, I think I would have tried to sneak away. :)) 

So, you see, I'm badly in need of help! ;) My friend, Mary Brigid, who is a great artist, has dragged me out a couple of times so I'm on the mend.  Looking forward to meeting some of you in Wexford in August.

Gerri.

Howdy,
I'm an artist living and working in Austin Texas. I work in watercolor and oil, En Plein Air and in the studio. Austin is the live music Capitol of America, so I have to play in a country band, too.
I came  to Ireland last year to take part in the Annual Plein Air Event "Art In The Open". I give workshops all around the us and Mexico and the University of Texas, and have exhibited in numerous museum shows and galleries.
I am really happy to be asked to do a workshop at this years event in Ballymore, Co. Wexford, on Tuesday July 30th. I love to teach and am looking forward to meeting old friends, and making new. I love Ireland and can't wait to get back.

Thanks, yes, now that its milder can get outdoors more, its a real challenge painting in the elements, but one I'm definately up for.

Etain Feeley said:

Hi Michael, Am based in Sutton Dublin, but spend sometime in Wicklow also, agree totally that practice is the best method, will try to get out on one of the Dublin paint outs very soon, many thanks. étáin

Michael McGuire said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website Sponsor: PleinAirGear.Com

PleinAirGear/Leder Easel

Viewcatcher

Notes

Making the most of your profile page

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 24, 2011 at 10:36am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 28, 2015.

Notes

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 12, 2010 at 2:18am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jun 1, 2012.

Posting Artwork on Plein Eire

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jul 15, 2010 at 1:33am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 10, 2012.

© 2024   Created by Plein Eire Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service