Plein Eire

Your Site For Artists Who Paint Outdoors

Nearly always do oils in one go. But a touch up? how to get new paint to bond and blend into a picture done 3 weeks ago . Any ideas?

interested in different mediums too.  Tend to like an oily look. Some suggest no medium.  I found that too dry. I use the student quality paint. Its fine except lemon yellow , has thin covering power.  Student paint, winton is  cheap  and  I can put it on thick.  I’m not so amazed by the expensive stuff but maybe I just don’t know 

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are two main problems that oiling out will help you solve:

• Blending wet paint into previous, dry layers of paint
  • Restoring luster to dull, sunken-in paint after it dries

How to oil out your painting

Before you plan on oiling out, make sure the area of the painting you’ll be working on is dry. There is absolutely no point to oiling out a wet area of paint; you’ll only create a mess!

Step 1: Adding (and removing) oil

Apply the oil to the area of the painting that needs to be worked on. This can be done using a clean brush, a lint-free rag, paper towel or even some cheese cloth.

Next, most of that oil needs to be removed. It’s important not to have a pool of oil on your canvas — you want just an ultra-thin layer.

It’s best to remove all of the oil possible up until the point of wiping away the shine. Get as close to removing that shine away without actually removing it. This way you can be sure there is a very thin layer of oil.

Step 2: Painting into the oil

Once the area has been oiled out, it can be painted on. The beauty of this whole process is that the painting will not have obvious visual separations between layers. The new layers of oil paint can be feathered into the thin layer of oil, yielding a seamless look to the final painting!

Not only does oiling out give you the advantage of blending into dry layers of paint, but it also restores the luster of the paint. Yes, oiling out will reverse that dreaded color change that some colors undergo, better informing you of how the painting looked when it was once wet.

Thanks Noel

The Winton or student quality paint has less pure colour that's why it's cheaper. One uses less paint when painting with the professional paints. It's much more vibrant. You could try and limit your range of colours and go for the pro paint.

Sample of variation of colour between student and artist (pro) grade paints

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website Sponsor: PleinAirGear.Com

PleinAirGear/Leder Easel

Viewcatcher

Notes

Making the most of your profile page

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 24, 2011 at 10:36am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 28, 2015.

Notes

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 12, 2010 at 2:18am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jun 1, 2012.

Posting Artwork on Plein Eire

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jul 15, 2010 at 1:33am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 10, 2012.

© 2024   Created by Plein Eire Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service