Plein Eire

Your Site For Artists Who Paint Outdoors

Hi everyone,  Just back from a few days painting in the Burren Centre in Clare and realised how ill equipped I was.  the tutor had a fab easel from America made by Stolek (I think).  I have searched the web but it seems an expensive job to get to Ireland.  Does anyone know where in Ireland or Europe that I could purchase a similiar one.  There was a tripod and then the box connected to it. 

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Ann

Views: 3651

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An excellent comparison chart prepared by Barry John Raybould may assist anyone choosing an upgrade:

http://www.virtualartacademy.com/equipment/pochade_boxes.html

and this very well illustrated comparison from 'Lines and Colours'

http://www.linesandcolors.com/2008/08/17/pochade-boxes

...and equally good illustrated comparison from Tom McQuiggan

http://www.mcqart.com/pochade

I m afraid the price is the real one unfortunately!!! SOLTEK is the brand and it is about 550$ to 600$ prrrreeeeetyyyy expensive, when you consider the pochade boxes people make out of cigar boxes and a tripod from aldi or lidl costing about 40 or 50 euros in total, ask Margaret Kent about it and whether its worth it or not. 

I even balked at buying one when I was in the States as I felt I just couldn't justify spending that much on an easel , and apparently a lot of the parts disintegrate and have to be replaced at quite a high cost, so I would think twice about forking out that kind of money for something that you could probably put together yourself for a fraction of the cost , and which might be more durable.There are a load of web sites showing how to make a pochade box which is mounted on a tripod from one of the multiples at a very reasonable cost  So surf away and keep your costs down.

Hi Ann,

Ive just purchased a prochade box from a company called ART ESSENTIALS .COM in U.S.A.It cost 140$ without the tripod.[inc the postage] Its wonderful, light weight, compact, Check out the site, i fully recommend it.

If you are handy, here's a cheap solution... shown in this little video.

...And here's a zero cost alternative made from a cigar box - it looks a bit 'Blue Peter' because its a prototype/experiment and anyway I'm no DIY expert. But it works well and is as small and light as can be, which was the main consideration in making it.

It has a glass palette painted grey on the back in a correx board tray (the light plastic sheet election posters are printed on). The divider lifts out - its to keep the main paint reservoir separate while its being carried about. Seen here, the horizontal grips (powered by stout elastic of weapons-grade, nuns' bloomers variety! ) hold a 6" x 9" board in place.

Here a piece of flat steel (also elastic-powered) clasps a board vertically. It can hold a 14" x 10" panel horizontally or vertically.

Here you can see the elastic 'springs'.

2 hasps and a shoulder strap complete the job. I haven't fitted a base-plate to this box as its not intended for use on a camera tripod  - it needs to be on a ledge or a wall or on your knee. But I fitted a metal baseplate on my bigger plein air paintbox and it works fine on a tripod with a quick-release.

Thats looks the business tony.Well done.

Hi Ann,

Tonys prochade box seems to deliver exactly what you refer to in your email.I need to correct a mistake re price.........the total cost inc postage came to 170$ instead of 140$.

Keep painting away...........Dee.

deirdre shanny said:

Hi Ann,

Ive just purchased a prochade box from a company called ART ESSENTIALS .COM in U.S.A.It cost 140$ without the tripod.[inc the postage] Its wonderful, light weight, compact, Check out the site, i fully recommend it.

I have been looking at easels for watercolour and hope to adapt the one I have already but I like the look of this one -

http://yevgeniawatts.com/blog/en-plein-air-pro-portable-watercolor-...

Check out the Easels in these videos on youtube, Charls Reid English Watercolour Sketchbook, about 1minut &14 seconds in, looks like a board with a quick release plate fixed to it. The other is Plein-air Painting and Cats by James Gurney,he also has a handy hint for watercolour artists. These are training videos but I was looking at the types of easles used. So many choices.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Website Sponsor

Notes

Making the most of your profile page

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 24, 2011 at 10:36am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 28, 2015.

Notes

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 12, 2010 at 2:18am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jun 1, 2012.

Posting Artwork on Plein Eire

Created by Plein Eire Administrator Jul 15, 2010 at 1:33am. Last updated by Plein Eire Administrator Jan 10, 2012.

© 2022   Created by Plein Eire Administrator.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service